Neymar Jnr has been buzzing all week for his record-shattering transfer from Barcelona to Paris St Germain on Thursday night. The world breaking move which began as speculation was finally sealed with the youngster signing a five-year deal with the French club after they triggered his €222 million ($263 million) release clause. The 25-year-old Brazil forward, who was presented to fans on Friday, is committed to PSG until June 2022, the club said in a statement. Media reports have said Neymar who will be wearing Jersey number 10 will be earning around €550,000 per week.
1. He was born February 5, 1992, in Mogi das Cruzes, Brazil as Neymar da Silva Santos Junior
2. Neymar Jnr inherited his name from his father, who is a former footballer and became his advisor as his (Neymar’s) talents began to grow
3. He played futsal and street pickup games growing up in Sao Paulo, Brazil and began his career playing for Santos’s junior team at age 11
4. In 2003, Neymar joined the Santos Academy in 2003 where he perfected his skills. In the same year, moved with his family to São Vicente, where he began playing for youth side Portuguesa Santista.
5. Real Madrid missed out on signing him on at 14. He had gone to Spain, passed all of the tests and was ready to make the move official before Santos paid a hefty price to keep him in Brazil.
6. Neymar Jnr began to showcase his skill in 2010 when an English club – West Ham took note of him. They quickly made a bid of £12 million for the Brazilian but were turned down immediately. It was this bid that drew eyes to Neymar on a worldwide level as Chelsea then took interest before other clubs joined the transfer frenzy.
7. He was the top scorer at the 2010 Copa do Brasil tournament with 11 goals and scored five goals in a victory against Guarani in the Brazilian Cup
8. In 2011, he helped Santos win its first Continental Double since 1963.
9. Neymar scored his 100th professional goal on his 20th birthday in 2012 and finished the year with a career-best total of 43.
10. In 2013, Neymar graced the cover of TIME magazine, breaking records as the only Brazilian soccer player to have appeared on the cover been reserved for political leaders.
11. In May 2013, he was named as the most marketable athlete on the planet by the SportsPro magazine. He topped the list over other world renowned athletes like Usain Bolt, Cristiano Ronaldo, Rory McIlroy and Lionel Messi.
12. The Brazilian soccer prodigy joined FC Barcelona in 2013 for £48.6 million.
13. In June 2016, Barcelona agreed to pay a fine of €5.5 million ($6.1 million; £4.7 million) to Spanish authorities to settle the tax fraud case over the transfer of the youngster in 2013.
14. He signed a new five-year deal with the 24-time Spanish champions in 2016 – a contract which was supposed to retain him at the club until 2021 but PSG mouth watering offer moved the terrific player to find a greener pasture in his new club.
15. In August 2017, Neymar Jnr signed a five-year deal with PSG after his legal representatives paid Barcelona €222m (£198 million) to secure an early release from his contract at the Camp Nou.
16. Neymar has however stated that money didn’t motivate his move to PSG, but that his motivation was challenge – a new challenge, the challenge of winning the Champions League.
17. Neymar’s record move has drawn endorsement from the soccer legend, Pele who tweeted Thursday night congratulating and wishing him lots of luck.
18. During his time at the Nou Camp, Neymar won two La Liga titles, two Copa del Rey trophies, the Champions League, the European Super Cup, the Spanish Super Cup and the Club World Cup.