The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has embarked on an indefinite strike starting today 14th of August 2017. The national president of the union – Biodun Ogunyemi said the union embarked on the current strike because the Federal Government has refused to implement 7 out of the nine issues agreed on in 2009.
Below are 7 outstanding issues ASUU has with the government; the reasons for the strike.
- Funding for Revitalization of the Nigerian Universities – Implementation of needs assessment report.
- Poor funding of State Universities
- Non-release of operational license of NUPEMCO – Nigerian University Pension Management Committee.
- Payment of fractions and non payment of salaries
- Non-Payment of Earned Allowances
- Amendment of the Pension/Retirement Age of Academics on the Professorial cadre from 65 to 70 years
- Reinstatement of prematurely dissolved Governing Councils
- Removal of University staff schools from funding by the government
- Non-implementation of the 2014 Pension Reform Act with respect to retired professors and their salaries.